7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9 Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you. (James 4:7-10)
James has been dealing with a couple of problems in the church. In 4:1-3 he deals with the subject of self-centeredness, and in 4:4-6 he deals with the issues of worldliness. He now turns to the antidote – that which can cure the problems of self-centeredness and worldliness – and tells us that it is genuine spirituality.
Submit Yourself to God – v7a
- Voluntarily place yourself under God
- This is not at all subjective
- Obey His Word
- Accept His dealings (the unchangeable)
Resist the Devil – v7b – “Take a Stand Against” (military term)
- Recognize that you don’t have to fall to him
- Beware of his devices (“for we are not ignorant of… [2 Chron 2:11])
- Avoid his contamination
- Reject his appeals (subtle philosophy)
- “Just say no” to his blandishments
Draw Nigh to God – vv8-9
- Change your focus
- Turn your attention toward
- Set your affections on (involves thinking on)
- The means are Bible study, prayer, church, etc.
- Ceremonial cleansing in view here
- Symbolic of dealing with actual sinful actions
- Get rid of what is behind your sinful conduct
- Symbolic of dealing with your thinking – philosophy
- Treat sin as something serious
- Self-imposed sorrow that is wrapped up with repentance
- Don’t be guilty of frivolous treatment of sin
- Turn your self-satisfied joy to gloom (real joy comes after, as a result of changed in one’s approach to life)
Humble Yourselves in the Sight of the Lord – v10
- This involves getting a proper view of yourself
- See yourself for what you are
- See the source of everything you have
- Recognize what you are able to do (to fail to do so is to engage in false humility)
- Recognize what you are unable to do (or not supposed to do) and stop trying to do it.
Spirituality is not a great secret! Biblical spirituality is not popular because it is very soecific, and it is easier to make subjective commitments than it is to obey the specific commands of Scripture. Genuine spirituality will take care of self-centeredness and worldliness.
Click here to view or print this bible study on “Spirituality”.
We hope you are finding everything yuo are looking for, there are three main categories, Bible Outlines, Bible Character Studies, and Bible Studies. All information on this website is free to print or download. You can also use our sitemap to find things. If this website has been encouraging to you please drop me a line using our contact page, maybe we can develop a relationship as well.